Friday 13 February 2009

The price of love

"Drinks all round," commands Al, our gardener.

Surprised at this we enquire what's up. It's the first time he's ever bought us a drink.

"It's my birthday. I'm 60. Time for my free bus pass." He's looking forward to seeing the bus driver's face when he tries to get on with the dog on his lead in one hand & his chainsaw in the other.

We ask if he's doing anything special to celebrate. He's off for a family meal out in the evening.

"I fancied going for a Chinese. But the grandchildren won't have it. There's vegetables." This is a source of great disgruntlement for Al. His passion is for veg growing, entering many a show with them. More importantly he grows them for flavour. In summer he lives on salads. He always has a good variety of vegetable dishes with his meals.

"So we're having to go Italian. At least they'll eat spag bol or a pizza," he adds. "I've checked out the menu. At the place we're going, the wife & I can get some proper food like whole sea bass or lamb with a blue cheese sauce. I couldn't face the Pizza Hut they wanted. But I would have preferred Chinese."

Oh the price some people have to pay for the sake of teenage grandchildren!

No comments: