Wednesday 18 February 2009

Feelings of mortality

And so we prepare for yet another funeral. I'm coming to the conclusion the more years you live, the more funerals you attend. In my 20s I only remember a few - my mother's, a very dear friend & my great aunt. These days it's rare we go without a funeral every year, & some years there's more than one. I suppose it's inevitable. Our friends tend to be of our own age or older, & inevitably you get nearer death as you grow older. But what gets to me is the number of people's funerals we've attended of people of our own age group or younger. Since we moved here in Sept 2000, there's been my brother's (49), a friend (53), a neighbour (45), & now another neighbour (56). These deaths make you feel uncomfortably aware of your own mortality. It also convinces me to make the most of my life now. There's no point in putting things off until tomorrow as tomorrow may never come. All the more important if those things bring you pleasure or peace of mind.

No comments: