Tuesday 7 June 2016

Too darn hot

The last couple of days have been hot, too hot for the Fox. Both days we’ve eaten out in the garden, in the shade of the garage. My eyes strayed to the thermometer on the shed wall. By the evening it is in full sun. It was alarming to see it had gone up to around 38°C. No wonder the Fox is dissolving before my very eyes. He’s finding it hard to cope with hot food, especially as we cannot wait until later in the day, when it is cooler, as by then I’m too tired to eat & often am literally drop off to sleep at the table. We’re moving onto a diet of salads for the time being. The heat is also bringing out his aches, especially in his hand (due to the Dupuytren’s contracture).

So today we’re having a Tuna & Bean Salad, with a home-made tangy vinaigrette dressing. We’ll maybe have a bit of ice cream to follow.

Unlike the Fox I thrive in heat. I feel more energetic as though I’ve finally come out of hibernation. It suits me. However, I’m forced to admit I think it’s worse for the Fox. You can always add an extra layer or hug a hot water bottle if you’re cold. There’s no such option if you’re too hot. Even having a fan on the go doesn’t make much difference. Installing air-conditioning would be ridiculous when it so rarely gets to such high temperatures in this country. He just suffers & gets irritable in his discomfort.

No comments: