Thursday 2 June 2016

Blockages



For the last week I’ve once more been putting drops down my ears, trying to clear ear wax. It’s one of those minor irritants which seems to happen increasingly as I grow older. There was a time I would have gone to the surgery. They would have syringed it & all would have been clear for years. Not now. Syringing is regarded as a dangerous invasive procedure, so I must suffer longer. At the moment my ears are both blocked, one almost fully, the other partially.

Going to the BBQ at the weekend was tiring as I had to try so hard to distinguish what the person opposite was saying from the general hubbub of people talking to one another. I’ve been putting off arranging the taxi to take us to the pick-up point for our holiday to Scotland coming up soon, mainly because I’m not confident I will be able to hear what the person at the other end of the line is saying even if I use my good(?!) ear.

I do find myself having every sympathy for people with permanent hearing problems, people like the Fox with tinnitus always ringing in his ears.

I really do feel it’s a design fault in man. Fancy inserting a wax-producing machine in the ear that goes berserk & into over-production like this.

I’m glad to say, for the first time in over a week, today some wax is pouring out. With luck my hearing will soon be back to normal & my spirits will rise a bit as a result.

We’ve been having similar pipe clearing problems with the kitchen drain. It blocked up earlier in the week. We’ve been pouring all manner of chemicals down the plughole. The sink is emptying now though there is an ominous sounding glug or two as the water goes down. I’m trying to remember to empty kettles of boiling water down the sink from time to time to hopefully melt any fatty deposits on the pipework. As I say it is clearing faster & better, so hopefully we’re beating that one too.

No comments: