Friday 3 June 2016

All's right with the world



My ear finally cleared last night. There’s no longer any glugs from the kitchen sink, despite the dishwasher being used last night. The sun is shining. All seems pretty right with the world.

Yesterday I had a tussle with some yellow irises. Beautiful as they are, they are also beginning to appear throughout the garden. I’m trying to take those out that are not beneath the rowans where they belong. However, for me, it is difficult to judge which plants are the yellow irises & which are the purpley red bearded irises unless there is some sign of the flower, even if it’s just the bud. Equally I have difficulty distinguishing between the leaves of yellow irises & those of crocosmia. The latter, although, not part of the original garden design, did give a welcome splash of orange along the narrow bed between the far lawn & the fence on the left side of the garden last summer.

The very far end of the garden I’m happy to see being taken over by self-seeded plants, by foxgloves, campanula, aquilegia etc. They provide colour, fill up a sparsely planted part of the garden, giving it a more natural look. They also provide shelter & shade for the frogs that like to roam around that part of the garden. Only when, & if, it’s getting too overgrown will I do anything about that part.

No comments: