Thursday 2 January 2014

Flight?!

I sit here, aching. Last night saw me making another abortive attempt at self-powered flight. I slipped from the back doorstep flat onto the hard concrete of the back yard. I was on my way to the freezer with the bagged leftover lamb & stuffing from yesterday's dinner.


 

The step was particularly slippery because of the amount of rain we've had of late. I tried to get up but found I'd landed in a particularly slippy bit as our drain is currently overflowing. From past experience I assume it is what is called a fat blockage, caused by the amount of soaps & detergents used. This is the drain that takes away the water from the dishwasher, kitchen sink & washing machine.


 

I crawled to a less slippery area & struggled to get up. By this time the Fox had come running, heart in his mouth as he heard my scream as I fell. He'd been dong the washing up at the time.


 

Between us we got me up. I put the things away in the freezer.


 

When I was once more back in the house I went to get changed. My skirt & cardigan were sodden after my lying in the rain. It was impossible to see if they were dirty or not. They were just so wet. My tights were holed, unsurprisingly.


 

Afterwards we sat and watched a little tele. I was just so uncomfortable though I suspect it was shock more than anything else. By 9pm I decided it was time I was in bed.


 

This morning I woke to undeniable aches. There's no sign of any bruises yet, though I'm sure they must be on their way.


 

First thing this morning I was prompted to get onto sorting the drain out. A man is supposed to be coming later this morning. At least I might land in a more pleasant spot another time, & I will be less likely to slip on greasy concrete as an excuse for flight.


 

I can't help thinking it's as well we're having the back garden done this year as we are hoping to reduce, if not dispose of these steps altogether. That should make life a lot less dangerous.


 

Meanwhile, I'm just grateful nothing worse happened. I've no broken bones, just loads of bruises on their way & maybe a bit of strained muscle that will settle down again. I'm not convinced this is the best way of checking I've still not got osteoporosis, but it's just as well that is no longer a problem for me.


 

I

No comments: