Monday 9 December 2013

The kindness of others



The day is brighter today. A pale blue sky is overhead. All is calm. More wind blew up yesterday, accompanied by a further downpour of rain.

I was happily jigging away – this time I’m doing a New York skyscape in the days when the Twin Towers still stood. It’s amazing to see those twin towers, gleaming in the sun, again. It’s surprising how quickly you get used to a new, different, horizon. Doing the jigsaw I couldn’t help remembering the horrific incident so many years ago, & the horror of all that loss of life & injury.

However, in the midst of my thoughts the doorbell went. It was one of our neighbours, Dave, come round as he’d heard from another neighbour, Fran, that we had a tree down & some fence panels down. He’d recently replaced some panels & thought we might appreciate the old ones which still had a bit of life in them, to keep us going until we could get to replace them on a more permanent basis.

I was staggered. I hadn’t spoken to any of our neighbours about the storm damage & yet here was Dave. The bush telegraph obviously works well along our street. Presumably our immediate neighbour, Bernie, must have bumped into Fran – she’s often out walking the dog - & told her, hence Dave’s arrival.

I showed Dave around to the garden. By this time Bernie has replaced the fence panel. I could see no further holes, though I did discover a second tree leaning over precariously, at a similar angle to the first. At least this one is shorter. I doubt that can cause any damage when it finally falls. Dave has decided he will check his panels now he knows the size of ours. If any are appropriate he’ll bring them round. They can be stored in our garage ready for the next blow.

I can’t help being struck how lucky we are, living here with such good neighbours. If ever we were in trouble, I am sure they would rally around to help. And I am grateful, & feel blessed indeed.


No comments: