Monday 30 December 2013

First attempts



Over the weekend the Fox gave me a brief introduction to our new computer with all its new software.


Today is the first day I'm on the loose by myself. I confess I'm very nervous of the results. However, while I'm still feeling relatively calm, it's time to have a go. The Fox isn't even immediately available to come to the rescue like my knight in shining armour.


I'm feeling fairly pleased with myself in that I've managed to update my freezer list without any difficulty. Getting back to an appropriate site to write this blog was more of a challenge. I remain anxious as to whether I'll actually manage to publish this blog entry, but I won't know until I try.


Today we're once more off to the Queen Vic, the hospital not a pub. The Fox is due another physio sessions. Despite his moaning & general scepticism of the whole procedure, he has persevered with the exercises he was given last time. He's even beginning to feel there some sign of progress. Neither of us is under any illusion that there will be an instant cure, but if there is some relief, some amelioration of the hip problem, some greater comfort walking or sitting, we will be well pleased. Obviously the deterioration in the actual bones cannot be cured by a few exercises.


After the hospital we're hoping to manage a bit of a food top-up before the New Year. We seem to be running low on a few things, especially fresh veg & non-alcoholic drinks for me. Admittedly I am intending to go mad & partake in a bottle of Château Neuf with the roast lamb I will be making, as well as in a bottle of champagne to accompany the bongs of Big Ben & the arrival of the New Year.


I've just been making a Chicken & Vegetable Pie, ready for dinner tonight. While I made it I listened to some of "Start the Week" on Radio 4. The question of the teaching of history & its value was being raised. It never ceases to amaze me on quiz programmes, how few people seem to have much consciousness of history, even our own British history. I can't help feeling it would be difficult to understand our modern world without understanding some of the history behind it.


I recently read a book about the siege of Malta by the Ottoman Empire against the Knights of St John in the 17th century. It was towards the end of the Crusades. Even that came as a shock to me in that I tend to think of the crusades as being in a much earlier period, with the likes of Richard the Lionheart in the 12th century for example. The book has given me a new perspective on Islam/Christian unease of today, in this country as well as the Middle East, Afghanistan & Africa. I can't help feeling without some of the understanding that comes from knowing some of the history, it is difficult to understand the causes of today's problems, let alone try to resolve them.


Or maybe it's just that I love history.



No comments: