Monday 16 December 2013

It's on its way



Today the Fox starts a regime of regular physiotherapy trips to the hospital. Fortunately he has to attend the local hospital in Morecambe. I am assuming they will decide regular treatment will be needed as both the doctor & the practice physio reckon physiotherapy will help his hip problems.

As for tomorrow, then it will be my turn to go for a pre-Christmas smarten-up i.e. a trip to the hairdresser. Much as I hate these visits, I will admit as someone nearly 60 years old, I do feel shorter hair suits me better & I do feel the need to look a bit smarter when I no longer feel I can rely on good health to make me look good.

This morning we received one of our mystery cards. All the neighbours tend to send Christmas cards to each other regardless of whether they know each other personally, a symbol of good will to each other at least. Yesterday we had one from Jim & Theresa. Jim & Theresa? Who are they? They had at least had the sense to put their address on the card. This morning’s card is from Andrea. She unfortunately has not but a house number on the card. Next time I see Fran or one of the other neighbours I will have to ask them. I suspect it is the new neighbour who moved in only last month. I thought it was a couple but it may be a single person with adult children who often visit. A bit of detective work is clearly needed.

Christmas definitely seems to on its way. Increasingly houses seem to be being bedecked with coloured lights. Santas climb up to chimney pots. Reindeer run across house fronts, pulling sleighs full of parcels. Next door, a Christmas tree which was cut down due to the recent storm now stands in the front garden with lights a-flashing. We’ve yet to get our decorations down. So far our only concession to Christmas is the putting up of the cards - as one friend commented they’re a bit of glitter in themselves. Once our new home help has been on Thursday, we’ll get the tree up.

But first will be the big food hunt. I’m hoping to get the majority of the food this week as so avoid the worst of the crowds & queues which are sure to be everywhere next week. We’re having a quiet Christmas at home, just the two of us. We will indulge in the treats we like, not necessarily the traditional ones. So, for example, we will have a cherry cheesecake rather than plum pudding. We will have some turkey but not the roast. That I will do a few days before. We’ve even bought some champagne & Chablis for the occasion now I’m once more indulging in a little wine.

Christmas is definitely on its way…

   

No comments: