Tuesday 25 June 2013

Confused



I’m confused.

Yesterday I went to the hospital for the DEXA scan (bone density scan) to check on the state of my osteoporosis before being prescribed a new drug (my old one has been withdrawn). I was told the results there & then. I no longer have osteoporosis. I’ve even grown an inch in height.

My first reaction is amazement. I didn’t realise you could cease to have osteoporosis. All I can say is that the old medication must have stuck an awful lot of calcium on my bones so they are no longer porous.

I equally thought I had stopped growing upwards long ago, in my teens, but somehow it seems not. I’d even shrunk an inch last time I was measured a few years ago. Now nearly 60, I’m going have to learn to think of myself as being taller than I’ve ever been.

The lady who did the scan then gave me a diet sheet. It is important that I continue to have a higher than normal intake of calcium otherwise I’m likely to get osteoporosis again, especially as I do very little weight bearing exercise.

On the way home I glance at the diet sheet. I’ve got to have an average of 900mg a day. I did a calculation of yesterday’s intake. Half a pint of milk (350mg), some green beans (56mg) a bit of cream (24mg), a bit of cream cheese (25mg), some parsley (25mg) & a slice of white bread (33mg). That represents cream cheese on biscuits for breakfast, numerous cups of milky tea, potted shrimps on toast as a starter, then a fish pie with green beans main course for dinner. The total comes to just over 500mg, a long way short of the target of 900mg.

I’ve started the list for today. Again there’s the bit of cream cheese (25mg), the half pint of milk (350mg), some breadcrumbs (8mg), sultanas (8mg) & some parsley (25mg) – same breakfast, milky tea, meatball curry for dinner – 416mg altogether. We’re going food shopping & I usually have a small bar of chocolate to reward myself. That would add another 110mg. That’s still not far over the 500 mark, nowhere near the 900.

My dilemma is that the high calcium items on the list are things such as hard cheeses, fried whitebait, white chocolate, the very things I should be avoiding due to my hypertension & CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease), not to mention my waistline. The only really high item is Ready Brek, a resouding 1200mg, which I really can't stand. 

I’m obviously going have to do a lot more eating. The only other item on the list that is fairly high in calcium is tinned sardines in oil (500mg), in tomato sauce (430mg), but the idea of having a whole tin of sardines every day to make up the calcium I need is alarming, much as I enjoy tinned sardines.

She did say if I can’t manage to eat 900mg, the doctor can prescribe Vitamin D & calcium tablets. I can see he’s going to have to, or my hypertension & CKD worsen as I happily enjoy a large bar of chocolate a day.

I’m due to see him in a couple of weeks. Until then I will continue eat normally, & count my milligrams so I have an idea of the average over a couple of weeks, rather than days. I suspect he’ll have to prescribe me some supplements, or suggest some more healthy ways of achieving the required intake.

I'm equally confused by the letter that was waiting for me at home. The DWP (Department of Work & Pensions). They acknowledge receipt of my renewal form  for DLA (Disabled Living Allowance) & tell me they will let me know the result shortly. Does that mean the decision that arrived on Saturday is likely to change, my celebrations premature? The second letter to arrive is dated before the first letter so hopefully it is just a very quick decision, on the nod as I suggested in my last blog. I fear the worse.

No comments: