Saturday 22 June 2013

An up & down sort of a day



It’s been an unexpected day so far.

I got up fully intending to go off to the fishmonger on my electric scooter, to find the gloriously sunny days we’ve been having had given way to rain. My scooter doesn’t like being out in the rain so I’ve abandoned that idea.

Along with that decision, I abandoned the idea of fish pie for dinner tonight. Instead we’re having Beef Popovers, sort of minced beef in a Yorkshire pudding batter or Toad in the Hole with minced beef in it instead of the sausage. The change is maybe not such a bad idea as we had sea bass for dinner yesterday so beef will be more different.

I rang my cousin Ann, the one with kidney cancer. Once again she’s been having problems with her chemo. She’s off back to the hospital to see what’s amiss. It’s a great pity. She did so well for several months. But since her break from chemo around Christmas, she’s reacted badly every time they’ve tried her on it again, even a reduced dosage, even having to have blood transfusions as she’s become so anaemic. I hope this isn’t a sign things are making a turn for the worse.

The post arrived. I can’t believe it. It was a letter advising me I have been granted my DLA (Disability Living Allowance) at my current level for an indefinite period. Why I’m amazed is that I only put my application for renewal in the post on Monday. The prepaid postage was second class & yet, within the week I’ve had a decision, no medical or anything. I can only conclude they are just nodding through renewals, unless there is obviously a great change since the last decision, in the knowledge that everyone is going to be reviewed soon as the new replacement benefit, PIP, is introduced. They reckon everyone should be reviewed by, I think it is, 2015 so they can safely say an indefinite period in the knowledge that it won’t be long. Still, at least it means I’ve got peace for a little while, & no immediate medical to endure. My spirits rose after sinking with my cousin’s news.

I got on with preparing dinner, making the batter & par-boiling some potatoes, for later. I had Radio 4 on, “Saturday Live”. I couldn’t help thinking the inheritance track, “Singing in the Rain” a very appropriate song on a rainy day like today.

I somehow don’t see us getting to the church fête this afternoon. If they hold it outside as hoped, the grass is going to be sodden, & if they hold it in the church hall, there will be no room for people & stalls to move around in a wheelchair, either way we will be staying at home.

I had hoped this afternoon to get the bog garden weeded & some bark mulch down to keep the weeds at bay. I don’t see us doing that either. The bog garden is once more becoming a pond!

Whatever else it’s certainly a day of surprises, some good, some bad!

No comments: