Monday 17 June 2013

An anxious weekend



It’s been an anxious weekend.

On Friday my cousin Pat went into hospital to have one breast removed as a consequence of the recently discovered breast cancer. It is with some relief all went well & she was safely home on Saturday. One of her daughters lives nearby. She stayed with her mother on the Thursday so she could take her early to the hospital on Friday, and on Saturday to make sure she could cope on her own. After that her daughter was going to return home to her three young children.

Pat is not to lift anything so she is going to her daughter’s to eat. Her other daughter will be coming to stay from Wednesday. So far everything looks as though it’s going well.

Yesterday I rang my cousin Alma. Her radiology is finished now. The tumour has reduced but the cancer has spread to other parts of her body. She’s starting chemotherapy soon.

I’ll leave ringing my other cousin with cancer, Ann, until next weekend.

On Friday we went over to the golf club once again to meet up with our friends. While there, we applied to join the club, just as social members.

I never thought we would be joining a golf club. There’s something very elitist-sounding about it & golf is not a great interest for either of us. However, the golf club does seem to be one of the main social centres of Morecambe. Now we no longer meet at the Pub, our friends have decided to meet up at the golf club instead. Assuming the club accepts us, we will now be able to go there in our own right, rather than expecting others to sign us in.

I did belong to a golf club as a teenager. My father was a keen golfer & wanted my brother & me to learn. Although I did learn I was never very enthusiastic. I just got bored after the first hole. I never bothered to keep up my membership once I left home for university & have never played since.

The weekend also brought us news of my next hospital trip. This time it’s for a Dexascan. The medication I take for osteoporosis is being withdrawn. Before the doctor prescribes me something else he thinks it would be wise to check how my bones are doing now. So next week, it’s the hospital yet again.

We’ve finally finished my Disabled Living Allowance (DLA) form over the weekend. It will be in the post today. Now we just have to wait & see what they say. No doubt there will be yet another medical required. They seem endless.


No comments: