Tuesday 5 March 2013

Under way


We're off to Italy! The money has finally gone out of our account, so it all looks set. As a result yesterday, we toodled along to the travel agents yesterday for a brochure featuring Venice hotels. We also went along to the library & found some guidebooks to give us some ideas of places to see if we should feel inclined to venture out of our hotel beyond the nearby lakeside walk & the village it is set in.

But first I’ve decided to appeal the DWP’s (Department of Works & Pensions) latest decision on my claim for Employment Support Allowance. I don’t trust them to automatically change the later decision in accord with the tribunal’s findings. For that matter the first tribunal may not decide in my favour so a second tribunal is a second chance of success. I did change the form the second time round. I don’t get the impression the DWP did anything more than check the list of medical conditions were the same as previously, then confirmed the previous decision. A second tribunal, with different people, will look thoroughly at the statements in the second form & that may tip things in my favour. I’m working on the theory if they do agree with me first time round then I can always back out of the second tribunal; if not, I have that second chance of winning. If I leave it until I get the first decision, or the DWP doesn’t do as it says it will, it would be too late to put in an appeal. It’s a case of a belt & braces job.

Then I’m going to look at Venice hotels, to decide which one is the most appealing. One thing has already struck me. Most of the hotels suggest you can get a water taxi to San Marco’s Piazza from the airport, then walk to the hotel, over bridges etc. Even a short distance would be difficult with me in a wheelchair & suitcases to drag along. Even a private water taxi doesn’t look that easy. Could I get into one? Would the landing stage at the hotel be such that I could disembark at it & push up slope/steps? Would any bridges be such I could cross? There seems to be a lot to consider.

But none of that distracts from the relief & joy that we now know we’re off to Italy in May.

Once we’ve sorted the Venice hotel & flights out, the next task will be the travel insurance. I might as well at least get some quotations, whether we go ahead with them or not, And I don’t see any point in not admitting pre-existing conditions & so invalidating any insurance bought.


No comments: