Tuesday 12 March 2013

Pie time



The other day, we watched “Great British Menu”, the Irish heat, on BBC2. Since then we’ve been haunted by the idea of Chris’ Cowboy Pie. It just looked so full of good things. So today I’m making another pie for us. Mine is much simpler, a Chicken & Sweetcorn Pie. Hopefully it will satisfy our craving for a good pie.

The idea of something warming & filling has a great attraction. We are once more in sub zero temperatures. It was -10˚C when I looked first thing this morning. An icy blast blows around. Yesterday flurries of snow kept falling but never more than enough to give a white gossamer thin layer on everything. The sky turned bright blue then & the snow melted once again. So far today I’ve not seen any snow falling but there is certainly ice around.

I always worry when spring seems to be coming so early. To my mind the worst months of winter tend to be February & March. I may have temporarily have left my woolly hat & boots off, but I never put them away. Sure enough they came into use once more yesterday & will be used once more today when we go out. I suspect the heating may well be going on all day once more too.

Tomorrow will be hospital day again. This time it’s the Breast Clinic. Hopefully it will be the last time for a while. I’m not entirely confident as there has been some further leakage since our stay in Kendal last month. However it didn’t look bloody, more creamy. I mentioned it to my care worker yesterday & she commented it was probably just my hormones are a bit rampant. I suspect she may be right. I gather the pancreas regulates the excretion of hormones & since my pancreas isn’t behaving normally due to the pancreatitis I suppose hormone production is likely to be a bit off too. I know my body doesn’t seem to be behaving normally yet. I’ve not had the severe pains that landed me in hospital for a while. These days it’s just the odd twinge & rumble of discontent. Still fingers crossed for tomorrow.

No comments: