Saturday 9 March 2013

Italy here we come



The holiday’s all booked. Yesterday I finally managed to sort out the flights to Venice to fit in with our lake hotel reservation. With the same company, I organised a hotel in Venice itself. As it is a travel organisation specifically dealing with the needs of disabled people, I’m confident the hotel will be accessible, as will getting to the vaperetto (water bus) stop for getting around Venice itself. We were somewhat surprised to discover the difference in the price of the flight between returning on the Wednesday (£580) & the Thursday (£350) is over £200. We decided we might as well spend that £230 on an extra night in Venice. It’s cheaper for one thing and I don’t expect we will ever go to Venice again so we might as well have a bit longer to look around.

Now it’s all booked, I feel I can afford to get excited about the holiday. It’s longer than we intended but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The area around Lake Molveno where we’re staying looks fabulous. From the map it looks as though the Dolomites rear up just behind the village. The hotel itself is overlooks the lake. It should be beautiful. The hotel sounds friendly, just what we like.

As for Venice .… It’s a city like no other. By all reports it’s much more accessible than you would think. Now we’re staying that extra night, we should even have time to go over to one of the islands, to Murano to see the glass blowing & museum, for example.

Now I have to get down to the more depressing task of getting some insurance quotes. I suspect they will only have gone up due to my pancreatitis. I will once more feel like we’re a pair of old crocks. If the quotes are too high, I suspect we will just not bother with insurance.

Then there’s the more exciting task of reading about the area we are visiting & sorting out the sights we most want to see. I usually go with a long list & hope to see a few of the places. Everything very much depends on how we feel on a day & what the weather is like.

It all sounds very enjoyable. I feel we can look forward to coming back refreshed after a good break.

No comments: