Tuesday 3 April 2012

An unexpected visitor

I've just been reading the Fox's latest blog. He somehow manages to encapsulate March & all the main events of that month, including some I've not written about, in one short blog. To think I've been boring you all with twenty odd blogs for the same period! Still, I have to admit brevity was never my strong point. For that matter I'm always a more detail person rather than a broad strokes person. You just have to look at our photos. Most of those taken on a wide-angled lens are the Fox's while I favour the telephoto. So detail is what I'll continue with.

We were just having a last cup of tea before setting off to collect PD to go to the Pub, when the doorbell rang. Who could this be? It turned out it was Shirley from church. I've not been to church for many months. In that time this was only the second communication I've had from anyone who attends there. The first communication was from one of the choir members who used to help me with my wheelchair in the days before I got the Mean Machine, my electric scooter. He sent us his usual Christmas card with all his good wishes.

Anyhow Shirley is one of the group I used to sit with, largely because that's the only space for wheelchair users which isn't behind a pillar & she & a couple of friends always sit at the pew just behind that space. 

The church has finally noticed my absence & come round to check all is well with me. Shirley was quite shocked to realise the parish magazine hasn't been delivered to me on a regular basis since the previous vicar left over 18 months ago, leaving me feeling very excluded from the goings on in the parish.

My conscience pricked a bit. It sounds as though the new vicar has now settled in, so maybe a difficult customer like me would be more welcome. I'm not sure. Maybe it's just that a few of the sick & elderly in the parish have died & the pastoral team feel they have the resources to put to take on a new project in need of help ie me. Whatever it is, I'll think on. Maybe I will give it another go, now life seems more settled here at home. We've had time to assess the long term effects & implications on our lives of the Fox's stroke. It's not as though God has ever gone out of my life even if His church has.

No comments: