Thursday 5 April 2012

All change

As we returned home yesterday, my eyes went across the Bay. Sure enough, the Lakeland fells once more have a thin covering of snow. It has certainly been cold enough the last few days. Today, though, I was surprised to find brilliant blue skies. The clarity is astounding. It remains very cold. -7 it said on the thermometer attached to the garden shed this morning. But at least it is beautiful to look out on. I'm even contemplating seeing if I can do a little bit more tidying in the garden later on. I'd like to empty the pots around the bird table & the trough on the wall, ready to put some colourful plants in for the summer should it ever decide to come. I could also do with unstrangling the small triangle where the mint grows. Some ivy grows from there up the wall dividing the back from the front garden. Unfortunately the ivy does occasionally have a go at spreading in other directions, like across the mint bed.

I have plenty of time this morning as the Fox is in charge of dinner tonight. He's already made a pork hotpot ready to warm up this evening. The aromas kept tantalising my nose whenever I woke up during the night, setting up some tummy rumblings in eager anticipation. Thank goodness the smell abates as the meal cools, otherwise I would be feeling ravenous by now.

We're off to the Pub today. We don't often go on a Thursday but we want to avoid the Good Friday crowds. You can see the tourists have already started to arrive. I suspect many people saw that mild sunny spell & hastily booked an Easter break. Now they're coming regardless of the cold, & generally gloom (today being the exception). It's good for the local businesses but does disturb the peace locals grow accustomed to during the winter months, as we once more have to share the facilities with all these visitors.

No comments: