Monday 17 June 2019

Repair time


The Fox continues to sleep most of the time. I can’t say he’s much better but at least he’s no worse. I have managed to get some solid food into him so hopefully he will build up some strength to get better.

Life has got down to trying to get the essentials done i.e. life seems to be about getting some food down the Fox & making tea, watching a bit of TV.

Today’s big extra is the arrival of the wheelchair repair service. While we were in Bergen, before we got on the ship & the Fox got ill, we had a lovely day exploring some of Bergen. On the way back we popped into a supermarket for some bottled water. The ramp out was very steep. We were pleased we’d managed that manœuvre, turned onto the pavement to find me screwing off the pavement towards the road. Some Norwegians came to the rescue, stopping me from actually slamming into the road or landing sprawled across the pavement. One of the front casters had buckled under me. The reason was obvious. The pavement was cobbled, on top of which there was a steep incline of 6 or more inches which we hadn’t noticed.

The Norwegians kept straightening up the caster. It kept buckling. Eventually one of the Norwegians noticed there seemed to be a screw missing. Fortunately the hotel we were staying in was just around the corner. The Fox managed to get me there using just the back wheels. The hotel handyman managed to find a screw that seemed to fit & that’s what in at the moment. However, I do feel it ought to be checked out for safety and now the Fox is safely home I feel is the time to sort it out.

I’m also a little concerned about the brakes. At one point we went up Mt Fløyen in the funicular railway. I was advised to face forwards rather than sideways. The only problem with that is that I just kept sliding forwards even with the brakes on. I suspect I need new tyres if nothing else as the tread has more or less got worn away.

Apart from getting the repair, I expect it to be a quiet day, the Fox dozing most of it while I jig along with my jigsaw. Quiet days, but the only way we can manage at the moment.

No comments: