Friday 21 June 2019

Health update


We did our shop on Wednesday. Not much, just a few essentials. Nonetheless, by the time we got to the till, the lady there was most concerned about how the Fox was. We had to explain he was only recently out of hospital. She packed the bags & moved the heavier ones back into the trolley. Back at the car I unloaded everything into the car. Once home I was the one to unload the car. The Fox went straight in for another lie down.

You begin to wonder if he will ever get better, but I tell myself he is trying to run before he can walk. He should just be relaxing & putting any strength he has into the business of getting better.

One good thing, the last couple of days he has managed to eat a reasonable sized portion of food. At least reasonable for a child but that’s still an improvement on what he was eating. Clearly Spaghetti alla Carbonara & Spicy Prawns and Chorizo are the things for him. Today I’m having a go at making pasta with a basic tomato sauce with bacon, mushrooms & peppers in. Hopefully he will do as well with this. I can’t help feeling until he is eating properly he can’t hope to get really well again.

Meanwhile he is worrying about me. All I can say is I’m pumping adrenalin madly. It is getting me through, provided we keep things simple, just doing essentials, quick food with minimum washing up. We have contemplated getting onto Social Services for more care, but to do what? The ironing? Bed changing? The cooking? Washing up? The shopping? Certainly, while the Fox was in hospital the only cooking they could do was to heat up a microwave meal. No matter how ill the Fox is he feels he could do that. We want real food made from scratch. As for ironing they did that once before when I was getting over an op & I shuddered at the way it was done. Teaching someone how to do things my way will almost take as much energy as just doing it myself. Hopefully this will only be for a short period then things can get back to normal.

Yesterday we spent at home. The Fox managed to do a bit of paperwork on the computer in his brief period of consciousness. I anticipate we will be doing something similar today.

Our gardener will probably come today. It’s a bright & sunny morning & she hasn’t been yet this week. I usually join her, chatting & half-helping but I can’t see me doing that today. The garden has really burgeoned while we’ve been away. I see hints of red in the far distance – the poppies under the silver birches? The delphiniums & peonies seem to be standing upright. I’ve not really explored the garden since our return. That would require more energy than I can afford at the moment. But maybe one day before so long …

No comments: