Thursday 20 October 2016

The op



Finally I’ve got chance to sit down & write.

On Monday we once more went off to the hospital, this time to meet the surgeon. He explained what he proposed to do, what was the expected outcome, how I was likely to feel after the op & what further treatment is likely to be needed after. I was also given the date for the op.

So next week I shall have to go along to the Lancaster hospital to be given an injection of radioactive dye. As a result, by the next day, I should have a bright blue breast. My skin generally should be a grey/blue colour. When I go to the loo, that too should be blue. He didn’t say how long I should be looking like a Smurf or a creature from the film “Avatar”. Hopefully it will only be a couple of days. I suspect, though, some child may have a shock seeing me if they try trick & treating us this Halloween. (Fortunately we don’t usually have such visitors. We put signs up to discourage them.)

The next day I will have to be up bright & early to go to Kendal hospital for 7.30am & the op. I’m not to have anything to eat from midnight. I can drink water until 6am along with my morning medication.

I have been offered an overnight stay as there may be extra problems for me as a wheelchair user after the op. There is likely to be some pain & stiffness in my left arm & the muscles to that breast.

My biggest worry is how I’m going to manage getting on & off the loo. Usually I have a frame around the loo which I use to support myself in the process. However, if I press down on just one side it is liable to tip over. I’ve not yet decided upon what I’m going to do yet. I am going to take an overnight bag just in case I am too sore to do much for myself immediately after the op. The surgeon did assure me that most people don’t find it much more uncomfortable than after the biopsies. I managed okay after those. However, I also note he is a man & so is unlikely to have experienced the discomfort/pain himself so is just going by hearsay.

A couple of weeks after the op I will be seeing the surgeon again. In the meantime the tumour & sentinel nodes that he’s removed will have been examined. Depending upon the results, what else needs to be done will be decided & I will be told at this meeting. From the tests that have already been done it looks probable I will have to have a course of radiotherapy, followed possibly by chemotherapy.

It seems never ending. I’m once more wondering about Christmas. We’re thinking of just staying home. That way we’re not paying for things I may not feel up to. If I do find this further therapy causes me to feel nausea, we can always have something simple & clean-tasting for the meal. The Fox will cook if necessary. I’m still hoping I might manage to roast the joint as usual but, at least, this way the options lie open longer. We can decide nearer the time.

No comments: