Monday 24 October 2016

A question of dress



One thing that did strike me in France were the number of overtly Muslim women. Please don’t get me wrong. I’m happy to accept people of all faiths & nationalities. Admitttedly around here we see few dressed in this way. However, I did find myself asking myself questions.

When we were staying in Annecy, when we were having breakfast a couple came in. He strolled on ahead, she followed behind with her child. She was wearing an all encompassing gown, head & face covered. She was stopped by the restaurant manager & told to uncover her face. She explained to the client that in France it is illegal to appear in public with your face covered in this way. She could dress like that in her own room(s) but not in a public space. The Arabic lady nervously uncovered her face, a beautiful face reddened with the embarrassment she clearly felt. I suppose it must feel like being asked to strip bare for her.

On another day, there was a road race. It was a hot day. There I spotted a woman running, head covered, face covered, flowing robes. I couldn’t help thinking it was ridiculous in such heat. She must have been sweltering with all that lot on.

Another couple strolled through a park. They look like young marrieds, much in love, yet she always remained a few steps behind. I couldn’t help thinking what a pity they should be denied the right to walk, hand in hand, like western lovers do.

I have to confess I can’t quite decide how I feel about this Islamic dress. I did feel for that woman, obviously embarrassed by having to strip (i.e. uncover her face) but there is a bit of me that says when you live in, or even visit, a country with such a different culture as France has, you have to dress appropriately & certainly not break the law of that country. If ever I visited a Muslim country, I would expect to cover up. I may question covering my face but I would certainly not bare my arms, legs & head. I would do that out of respect for the foreign culture. I feel they should do the same. Especially when I understand that nowhere in the Koran does it say such dress is obligatory, just that women should dress modestly.

Those women who were dressed in Islamic attire but with their faces uncovered, I smiled at happily & said hello to. The Fox was surprised to see how their faces lit up as though they rarely got a smile from a non-Islamic woman.

It’s strange how much this has troubled me. I’ve seen many women on the TV wearing their heads covered. Indeed I’ve even admired how attractive they often look. I envy them their ability to wear a hijab & for it to stay in place securely. Scarves always seem to slide all over the place on me. Maybe it’s just a matter of practice. Who knows I may soon get that practice if I end up losing my hair after chemo.

No comments: