Wednesday 26 October 2016

Getting ready



I’m trying to get on top of all the chores before the hospital trips begin. Beds have been changed, washing done & dried. This morning I did the ironing. Yesterday it was the big food shop, though whether I’ll feel up to cooking is dubious. At least there are plenty of ingredients for the Fox to have a go at cooking.

Soon it will be time to turn blue. I wonder how long I’m likely to stay that colour. I’ve not thought to ask. Maybe they can tell me when I go to get the dye injected in.

I've bought a puzzle magazine to keep me going through the long hospital waits I see are ahead of me. Even this dye injection is supposed to take two hours. I presume it is the usual minute to inject then a couple of hours before the scan to check the dye is going where it ought to. Then there will be the wait from 7.30am for the actual op, which may not be until the afternoon. Much as I appreciate there will no doubt be people coming to talk – the surgeon, the anaesthetist – it may still be a long wait. After that there will probably more sitting around for the radiotherapy & chemo. All time for thumb twiddling which I’m not very good at. At least a puzzle book should keep me mentally occupied.

I’ve made two little piles of overnight things, one for me, one for the Fox, ready to pack. Some things e.g. medication, will have to wait until the morning of the op.

I think we’re all set. Now we just wait. And wait.

No comments: