Tuesday 3 November 2015

November's image



In the hallway hangs our 2016 calendar. This year’s has pictures of Japanese woodblocks.

As usual on Sunday we turned the page to the next month, November. Ever since I find myself waylaid by the image there. It is entitled “South Wind, Clear Sky (‘Red Fuji’) (detail) from Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji, c. 1831” by Katsushika Hokusai.

The detail is just of Mount Fuji with a bit of clouded sky above, & two toned blue, I would say, pine forested land below. Fuji itself is golden sand coloured with a white snow cap, little more than a thin line of white, seeping downwards. It’s an apparently simple image & yet it fascinates & absorbs. Fuji glows out of the darkness both of the image & our hallway.

My intrigue is heightened by the verse below which reads:
          “Deep in the mountains,
          beyond the knowledge of spring,
          on a pine bough door
          there are faintly suspended
          beads of liquid snow.” (Untitled by Yosano Hiroshi)

I find the idea of liquid snow wonderful. And for that matter, something being the knowledge of spring.

Each day as I pass the calendar my spirits are lifted. A bit of me glows along with Mount Fuji.

         
         

No comments: