Wednesday 4 November 2015

A trip to the supermarket



I’m once more waiting for the filling to cool. This time we’re having a creamy vegetable pie. The recipe suggests I make them in individual mugs. To my mind that’s just plain silly. It would very difficult to get down to the bottom to scoop out all that, hopefully, delicious filling. On top of which the temptation to grab the hot handle with bare fingers would be irresistible. And where do you pour the gravy? Instead I’m making one big pie for the two of us.

Yesterday was shop day. I decided to buy some minced lamb, but when I got there I found a trolley across the way & an elderly couple trying to find inspiration. The meat was on the top shelf, as usual, far too high for me in a wheelchair to reach so I put on my best winning smile & politely asked the gentleman to reach down the minced lamb for me. He did, then wondered if I’d prefer a different packet. I assured him any would do. There’s never much difference in packs of minced meat.

His wife then asked me what I did with minced lamb as they’d never had minced lamb, only beef.

I told her that in this particular instance I’m planning to make it into a spicy topping for a pizza. She looked unimpressed. So I went on to suggest it was good in lamb burgers. She perked up. They eat beef burgers. I suggested adding a bit of mint to the mix for lamb ones. That started to excite her. I also mentioned I sometimes make lamb meatballs, shepherd’s pie, or a lamb ragu with pasta. She lit up as she suddenly saw the possibilities of minced lamb.

It’s strange. People seem to think of supermarkets as being unfriendly places. I don’t know whether it’s just me, but I often have conversations there with complete strangers, discuss recipes etc.

It's partly the  fact the Fox & I tend to separate to speed up the job. I often then need help of a passing giant to reach things down. I always try to reward them with a smile & some thanks, to make them feel pleased they'd done a good turn to someone that day.

It’s also undoubtedly partly that Morecambe is a very friendly place. People still have time for one another. We always have a chat & joke at the till. Yet, when we were in Manchester, the Fox’s brother & another person at the table had been commenting just how difficult it was to get anyone to stop & speak in a supermarket. Till assistants only ask for the money. 

Here we discuss the progress of one lady’s disabled son, the recent marriage of another under the Eiffel Tower in Paris, how the grandchildren are doing, the weather (always a good opening topic of conversation in England), holidays, health etc. etc. It’s at the supermarket I found out from a fellow wheelchair user about how to go about applying for a helping dog, & how they can help a disabled person to be more independent. 

Maybe that’s why a trip to the supermarket always takes us at least an hour!

No comments: