Saturday 27 June 2015

Going chicken



Today I decided I would experiment a bit with the vegetables for once. We’re going to have ginger-garlic carrots. All the ingredients are stir-fried together. As you know we do love our carrots & this may be an agreeable variation on our usual glossy carrots.

I was intending to use up some chicken breasts that were in the freezer, to accompany the carrots. I thought a Chicken & Sweetcorn Pie perhaps. However the Fox planted the idea of a roast in my head. He pointed out we hadn’t had a roast in ages, & certainly not a roast chicken this year. I checked my freezer list. Sure enough, there aren’t any parcels of leftover cooked chicken, a sure sign of us having a roast. I relented. So yesterday we went off to the butcher & bought a whole chicken ready to roast today.

As for the chicken breasts, I breadcrumbed them & fried them for dinner yesterday. Delicious. It isn’t often I cook them so simply, but they were very moist & tasty. It amazes me how much more tender & succulent meat can be as a result of simply using a bit off egg & some breadrumbs as opposed to grilling or frying without such a coating.

No comments: