Monday 22 June 2015

Fashion, horticultural & culinary



Yesterday I heard some of “Gardeners’ Question Time”  BBC Radio 4 while I changing the bed. One of the questions caught my ear. It concerned fashion in plants, which were going out & which coming in. I thought of our garden & that of my mother’s in the 1950-60s & the differences.

Ours has the old-fashioned favourites of delphiniums & lupins, both now making a comeback. Hers had gladioli, now well out of fashion. She also had loads of tulips in season. We have none.

They reckoned that part of the reason for the change in horticultural fashions lies in the fact that some plants became so all-pervasive that people get bored with them or want something different to distinguish their garden. I suspect there is an element of truth in that. Old favourites are now returning to fashion as they are beautiful plants & now once more unusual.

The same seems to be the case with food. As I said yesterday, we’re having Corned Beef Hamburgers for dinner tonight – they’re waiting in the fridge ready to go in the oven this evening. During the Second World War & immediately post war, in the years of rationing, corned beef, pressed tongue, luncheon meat were all pervasive. For that matter tinned pilchards was another favourite. These days you rarely see them, yet they can be delicious. We love our corned beef. I know it’s rather fatty & salty, but it’s not as though we have it every day. I think it’s time it made a comeback in our diet, along with those tinned pilchards.

No comments: