Monday 17 November 2014

Church?



Yesterday I went to church – only the second time this year. Usually I’m up early enough on Sunday to listen to the Radio4 service at 8am & so go there.

I ceased going to the local church a few years ago as I found the new vicar incompatible. I was uncertain about the direction she was taking the church in fairly early on. The breaking point for me was when I bumped into her in the supermarket. I duly introduced her to the Fox, who had just had his stroke. There was no concern for how he was doing. All we got back from her was her preparations for the christening of one of her grandchildren. Much as I appreciate she is only part-time vicar of our parish – the Church of England has had to make savings by combining roles/parishes – I didn’t realise that meant she was part-time caring for her parishioners.

I duly turned my attention to reading my Bible by myself, augmented with the radio services.

Last year she turned up with the harvest gift. I thought I ought to give her another go. Maybe the real problem was that she was a bit overwhelmed by all the new people she had to meet, the new tasks she’d taken on.

The first Sunday I felt well enough to attend was Easter Day. I found it very difficult to cope with screaming children running around the church throughout the service. I vowed the next time I tried it would be a non-special service. I finally got there yesterday.

I was warmly welcomed by the fellow parishioners who knew me of old. Even the vicar acknowledged my appearance – suggesting I would like to have a visit from the Three Kings. 

The sermon was on communication. We were encouraged to ask, mid-sermon, if there was anything we didn’t understand. I contemplated asking her what she meant by “kingdom of God”. I have the impression her interpretation of that is very different from mine. I kept my silence.

Undoubtedly the new vicar has brought a vitality into the church that was missing. A lot more young people seem to want to attend. There are more weddings & christenings celebrated. However, the idea of a service to which you are encouraged to bring your pets for them to be blessed doesn’t do anything for me – maybe it’s just I’m not a pet owner. As for the 3 Kings visit – the idea is that the models of the three kings go from house to house in the parish throughout Advent to symbolise the journey of the three wise men making their way to the stable, Joseph & Mary are doing an alternative circuit, all will be re-united in the Nativity Crib come Christmas – I gratefully remembered our trip to Amsterdam & said no. Equally I wasn’t sure about the need to sing "Happy Birthday" to those who had had a birthday last week. There comes a point in which popularising something diminishes it & that’s what I feel this vicar is doing with Christianity.

I think I’ll be going back to my Bible & the radio, or maybe I’ll try another church nearby. I gather one old stalwart left at the same time as me & is now at the Methodist church instead. It’s a pity because I do miss the companionship of being part of the church family & there were some good people at my old church – those who so warmly welcomed me back yesterday – but is that enough to put up with this vicar?

No comments: