Sunday 26 October 2014

The clocks change



And so the clocks change as winter approaches. I am up incredibly early, awake long before 7am. Tonight it will be dark early.

From time to time it is suggested that, in this country, we should cease changing the hour twice a year. I can’t help noticing those voices tend to be from the south of the country.

As someone who lives in the north of England, I really do appreciate that extra light in the morning. I hate getting up in the dark, having to put lights on, harshly stinging the eyes when first you wake & get up. By the evening, the weather is usually so terrible I’m ready to draw the curtains, batten down the hatches & huddle around a fire, metaphorically at least in these days of central heating.

I remember only too well the time we experimented with British Standard Time in the 1970s. I remember cycling to school in the dark. At the same time there were power cuts so we had to go up & down the stone staircases of our school to morning assembly in almost pitch black. And it still wasn’t that bright when it came to cycling home in the evening.

I am somewhat surprised, though, today to find ,despite the wind blowing the plants everywhere & the definite feeling that winter is on its way, it is very mild outside. It’s a warm wind for once. Quite a change.

No comments: