Friday 10 October 2014

Around & around they go



As I commented in one of my blogs of October last year, I am amazed by the number of roundabouts you see in France. We’ve usually encountered them in the south of the country, in Provence in particular.

However, this year the roundabout made its appearance once more. The first we came across was in the Place Raoul Dautry, opposite the Gare Montparnasse in Paris. At the time I was too tired to really appreciate it.

However, my interest picked up when we turned the corner from the hotel in Tours to see a roundabout there. I was especially pleased to see children riding it. It’s good to see in these sophisticated times some simple things can bring great pleasure to the young. They’re not just obsolete, a relic for a museum somewhere.

Our third carousel was in the Tuileries when were once more in Paris. This, too, was clearly a favourite among the children. Even the music you hear as the carousel goes round lifts my spirits, a reminder of younger, more carefree, days.

Our last roundabout was near the Eiffel Tower, in the midst of the many attractions to distract the hordes who want to go up the Tower. This seemed rather sad. The music played. The rides went up & down as they went around but no children were interested in actually riding them – too distracted by the giant Tower that overshadowed it? Who knows?



No comments: