Wednesday 3 September 2014

Or maybe not



I thought the car hunt would come to an end yesterday. I told Linda, our home help, as much in the morning.

In the afternoon we went back to the Volvo dealership to test drive the Volvo. The Fox loved it, as I was confident he would, but I had serious doubts about how comfortable I felt driving it, sufficiently serious for me to feel we ought to think more & not rush into it.

Back at the garage, they reassured me on some things. The diesel engine in the V60 model we were interested in is one of those rare diesels which doesn’t require regular drives at 70mph to keep the filters clean. The idea of having to drive through Lancaster once a month to get to the motorway to go at such speeds was a nightmare. I’d been telling myself it wouldn’t be such a problem once the new motorway exit that led from the M6 to Heysham Port was completed in 2016. Then Lancaster could be avoided.

He also reassured me the headrests on the rear seats, which I found blocked my view when I was trying to reverse, could be lowered or even removed. That would certainly help reversing.

We went away disappointed. Or enthusiasm for the car hunt is definitely ebbing away.

On the way back we stopped at Ricky’s Cantonese restaurant for dinner - excellent as ever. Afterwards I drove back for once. (The Fox usually does the driving.) There’s no denying I was more comfortable driving our present huge tank of a Volvo, a S70. Even the Fox admitted I looked more at ease. He did suggest maybe we should spend our money on doing up the present car, the Lady. I pointed out that it didn’t alter the fact that our present car is a gas guzzler. It is showing all the signs of increasing old age, with one little thing after another falling to bits it's 16 years old after all. It’s also far bigger than anything we need.

No it’s time we changed I just wish I knew what too.

Well, very locally, we’ve still got Honda & Citroen to try. After that, it’s a trip to Grange-over-Sands to try BMW, Toyota & Audi.

We are very hard to please it seems. So much for my previous blog on contentment. We’re being every bit as picky when it comes to some things, as those young house hunters!

No comments: