Monday 15 September 2014

Exciting times of some wonder



One of the delights of the new garden is discovering what is planted. Most of names are on them so I know what to expect but not all. Some I can recognise the leaf, or think I can, but in the absence of flower I’m not so sure. Each day things change. New flowers open up, others die away.

The latest source of wonder is the delphiniums. I’ve never had a garden with them in. We started with a few small deep purply blue, progressed to a phase of dark blue with white centres & have now got to the stage of great spikes of white with navy centres. Whatever the colour the bees are happy buzzing around.

It had never occurred to me that the same flower may blossom at different times according to the colour. I suspect the white ones are so much taller because they’ve had more time in the ground to regain their vigour after the move into our garden.

I’m looking forward to the penstemons which are budding up. I hope they either open up before we go on holiday or last until we’re home again. They’re another plant I’ve never lived with before.

The Fox tackled the first mow of the new lawns over the weekend. He was relieved to find it took less than half an hour to do the job. He feels that’s an amount he can manage himself, without getting a gardener in.

The lawn cut was one of our first tasks on our list of things to do before we go away. Over the weekend I made a list of foods that need to be used up. So it is today we’re having a Chicken & Egg Sauté, using up some green & yellow peppers, & some leftover roast chicken.

(It’s one of the things that bugs me. Why does buying one pepper cost 75p but a bag of five assorted peppers cost 99p? I always end up buying many more peppers than I need because if I want two it’s cheaper to buy five. And then they tell us that we should waste less!)

This afternoon it will be time to go to the library to return books & jigsaws, followed by a visit to the surgery to collect holiday medication.

I observe last night, after I went to bed, the Fox decided to load up some books of short stories on the Kindle. I can’t see either of us appreciating the Kindle to read anything much longer. However, the Kindle is a useful way to carry plenty of reading for a holiday without using too much luggage space or weighing the bags down too much. It has its uses.

Things are getting exciting.

No comments: