Tuesday 30 July 2013

One intruder found



A few blogs ago, I mentioned we had discovered signs of a four-footed intruder into our home, specifically the kitchen. We removed the evidence & kept watch to see if any further signs appeared. Nothing. A few days later we discovered evidence in another cupboard. We don’t often rummage in the back of that cupboard so we couldn’t be sure when that visitor had called. Again we removed the evidence & kept watch.

Yesterday I finally decided it was going to be dry so I would put my washing out on the line to dry. I went to pick up an empty bucket to put the things in to take them out, when I saw in another huge bucket, a tiny mouse sitting at the bottom. It was clearly stuck there. Our intruder I thought.

I took the bucket, a couple of foot deep, out into the garden & gently tipped the mouse out into the irises so it would have cover from any possible predators. Hopefully that’s solved our intruder problem. We’ll continue to check regularly our cupboards for a while.

I rather like these little field or harvest mice with their great bulbous black eyes. Hopefully he will be happier outside. I don’t expect he really wanted to be inside our house, any more than we wanted him there. We will certainly be relieved if our intruder problem has been solved. Certainly there are no signs of the ants being still around.

It’s clearly a good year for pests. I couldn’t help noticing the pest control man was around again yesterday. When he came to us, he got lost finding our address. He’ll certainly know where this road is in future. From the gear he got on I suspect this time it was a wasp nest problem. This warm weather is certainly encouraging the wildlife to go berserk!

No comments: