Friday 26 July 2013

A passing thought



I’ve just been getting some potatoes prepared ready for dinner. We’re going spicy tonight with Salmon Fajitas. I thought a few sauté potatoes & some sweetcorn would be just the thing to set off all that chilli spiciness.

While I was doing the potatoes I half-listened to Woman’s Hour on Radio 4. They were talking about the first wave of feminism i.e. the suffragette movement. My gran was one. Throughout my childhood we still had the chains with which she tied herself to the town hall railings.

Why this segment of the programme particularly caught my ear is that I’m currently reading a novel based on the life of Katherine Parr, beginning just before her marriage to Henry VIII. In this novel Katherine is portrayed as secretly being a supporter of the Protestant church at a time when the King was tending back towards the old Catholic religion. Through her secret reading of the Bible & interpretations of it, she became increasingly aware of a woman’s right to be something more than just a vessel for the breeding of children. I can’t help wondering if this isn’t a very 21st century interpretation of Katherine’s views. Can feminism really trace its roots back to the introduction of the Bible in English, and everybody’s right to interpret what is written in their own way, not necessarily according to the strict orthodoxies handed down from the pulpit? I’m sceptical, but I will admit Tudor history is not a period I have ever studied in great depth.

But I must accept being free to think can be a very dangerous thing. You never know where those thoughts may lead.

No comments: