Thursday 18 July 2013

In need of an unwind



I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do today. Thursday morning is the time when Angie, our home help, usually comes. Yesterday she rang to say she couldn’t come today but would come on Friday morning instead if that was okay with me. I agreed.

So, this morning there’s nothing much for me to do. There’s not even food preparation as the Fox is cooking today – Rise e Bisi, essentially a risotto idea featuring pancetta & peas. It’s another use-up-from-the-freezer sort of a day. We’ll be having some mushrooms to accompany it.

It’s maybe just as well I’m having a quiet day. Yesterday I wasn’t coping too well. We had the pest control man round. I’d found a pile of something odd on the floor in the kitchen. Clearly we had an infestation of something. It turned out it was ants. They’d been clearing space in the cavity walls for their ever-growing nest. The Fox dealt with the nice young man. I kept out of the way as I was already feeling so stressed, unable to cope.

Then, in the evening, just as I was starting to make dinner, we found evidence in a cupboard of another intruder into our home. The Fox cleared up the evidence so we can see if the intruder is still around. Nonetheless, combined with the physical pain I was feeling, it was too much for me. I felt a bit like everything I loved was falling down around me. I would have suggested eating out, if it wasn’t for the fact I’d bought some fresh fish for dinner & feared it wouldn’t keep much longer. It was something of a relief to discover the whiting was delicious despite all my fears that that would be a disaster too.

I have a suspicion the Fox is right in thinking it’s time we had a break from everyday life. The benefit of the Italian holiday is wearing off. Even the unexpected bout of glorious sunshine & warmth this lat week or so is unable to keep me relaxed. It’s time for a change of scene, so it’s just as well we’re off to Harrogate soon. And for that matter I’ve got today to relax over a book or a jigsaw.

No comments: