Tuesday 9 July 2013

Music of the Mind



We sit outside, eating our dinner. The temperature has soared to over 90˚F  in our little bit of paradise. For dinner our meal is Potatoes Florentine, accompanied by sweetcorn.

My mind turns to thoughts of what music might be appropriate to play this evening if we decide to switch the TV off, & just have a glass or two over music & conversation. I usually try to choose something that is connected in some way, often rather obscure way, to the events of the day.

I suddenly remember Cole Porter & “Kiss Me Kate”. The song in particular that suddenly haunts my thought is “Where is the Life that Once I Led?”. I can see in my mind’s eye Howard Keel singing away in the film version. Surely there must be some reference to Florence (& so with our meal) in that song that all its amazing rhymes.

I try to think of other songs that might mention Florence. I can think of none.

As my mind whirls over all things Italian, it occurs to me we have a five CD set of Dean Martin. Maybe there is something about Florence on one of those.

We clear up & I change into my nightwear. We settle down to our evening entertainment. We do indeed decide to switch off the TV. The Fox finishes off the bottle of wine he opened with dinner, while I have some Grapetiser – I’m still off the alcohol - & we get out some music.

“Where is the Life that Once I Led?” does indeed mention Florence, under its Italian name of Firenze. As for Dino, I could find no reference to Florence, but my eye landed on a track entitled “Come Back to Sorrento”.

Over our meal I had told the Fox something about my blog of yesterday, that I had mentioned Ruth & Col. One thing about these two is that they have some romantic associations with the song they call “Sorrento” which they had heard on holiday in Sorrento. We wonder if this Dino song is it. It certainly is very romantic sounding, with plenty of Italian words. Either way it reminds us of new friends & a happy time once again.

It was a very pleasant, & fitting, end to the day.


No comments: