Saturday 20 April 2013

On our way regardless



The tickets are arriving. The insurance has been sorted. It looks as though we’re on our way.

In the same post as some of the tickets came yet another form from the DWP (Department of Works & Pensions).  This time it’s for DLA (Disability Living Allowance). I knew that was due at the end of August. I just hadn’t expected the form to arrive so early. Still it will just have to wait until we’re home again. Hopefully by then I will feel restored a bit to tackle it.

I’m relieved to see it is a DLA form & not one for the new benefit which is replacing DLA, ie PIP. PIP is supposed to be starting to come out first in the north so that is what I feared, but clearly only new applicants are getting the new benefit initially. Still it is yet another form, more stress to cope with which I don’t feel I need.

On Thursday I had my ambulatory blood pressure test. What a nightmare!

I arrived at the surgery at 8.50am to be fitted with this machine. I had had the foresight to wear some loosely fitted clothes. At that time my blood pressure was very good. As the day went on, & the band blew up every few minutes I got more & more stressed. When the arm cuff blew up, it was impossible to do anything with my left arm. The circulation was virtually cut off as pins & needles went down my arm to my hand. My patience flagged, & I suspect my blood pressure rose, certainly my temper did. I was tired & would have had an afternoon nap but it was impossible with the pain in my arm whenever the pressure was read, not to mention the heavy weight at my waist.

By 7pm I was ready to get changed. I then had to cope with the tricky manoeuvre of getting my clothes off & nightwear on without taking this machine off. One thing was instantly apparent now my arm was bare. Every time the cuff blew up my arm bulged on either side of the cuff. I tried to loosen the cuff a bit but all that happened was that the machine just gave an extra pump making the band as tight as ever.

Finally it was 9pm. Time to take it off. What a relief!

Where the cuff had been there was a red mark. It is still there on my arm a couple of days later. My upper arm feels bruised & tender from the regular irregular constriction. I’m just hope it settles down soon.

When I took the machine back I couldn’t help mentioning what a nightmare it had been.

I discovered this procedure was organised by the nurse who oversees the progress of my CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease). I suspect she’s worried that my blood pressure has been up of late due to worsening of that, whereas I suspect it is more likely to be due to the pancreatitis. I’m now expecting to get called in to see her. Still she can just wait until we get home.  I’m not losing my holiday for the sake of seeing her. I suspect the best thing for my blood pressure will be a relaxing holiday away from the everyday stresses of life at home.

No comments: