Wednesday 10 April 2013

A bit of Scott



I put the radio on over breakfast, Radio 4 as usual. My heart sank as I caught the unmistakeable voice of Jim Naughtie. Not another extra programme on the greatness that was Margaret Thatcher, I thought. It was with some relief I discovered that no, it was a programme on that other Scot, Sir Walter Scott.

I confess I have tried reading one of his books, “Kenilworth” to be precise. My mother, an amateur family historian, reckoned it featured one of my ancestors. I found the book very hard going, despite being essentially a book about love & a murder in Elizabethan days. It certainly put me off attempting to read another of Scott’s novels.

And yet I am forced to admit I have enjoyed screen adaptations of “Ivanhoe” & “The Bride of Lammermoor”. I’m aware his works have inspired operas by many of the great composers. I appreciate that much of our view of Scotland is coloured by his works. This was especially so in the Victorian era.

I just wish I could find him more readable. Maybe I should give him another try some time.

No comments: