Wednesday 27 February 2013

A lift to the spirits



I love days like this. The sky is pure blue. The light gleams on everything. The whites of the snowdrops & golds & purples of the crocuses shine out, heralding the spring to come.  It’s very cold but then that’s what winter is about. The frost has now melted wherever the sun reaches it. The cold you can wrap up against. We’re in the fortunate position of not having to worry unduly about the cost of having the heating on. The birds are busily diving to & from the bird table and feeders. All in all, it’s the sort of day, when joy springs to my soul. It feels good to be alive.

Maybe it’s partially things are starting to sort themselves out. The Fox has made a breakthrough with Saga. It finally looks as though we’re managing to get somewhere on arranging the Italian holiday. You never know we might even get there in May as we’d hoped.

Meanwhile I’ve been looking at a few other holiday destinations for later in the year. We’re working on the theory that if we’ve booked, we may actually go and not be deterred by the problems at home. It may be a case of taking it quiet while we’re away, but at least we should get away from home pressures for a bit.

I’m also reading a book which lifts my spirits. It’s set in wine-making country in the north of Italy. I’ve not read far but it definitely looks hopeful of being a good read. I can’t help being struck again that a vineyard is one thing I would hate. The stress of timing the harvest when the fruit is at optimum ripeness, then all the stress of transforming the grapes into a palatable wine is quite something, more than I could cope with. And that’s not to mention all the worry with weather etc as the fruit grow through the summer months. No, I have no aspiration to grow my own vines, though the idea of drinking the results does appeal.

Still at the moment I’m still off the wine, and any other alcohol, for a few months at least. The only way I’m consuming is in the cooking providing I am confident the alcohol is burnt off. So, for example, the Fox is making a Beef Stroganoff for dinner tonight & I’ve authorised him to use some brandy. The stroganoff is cooking for 6 hours or so in Big Ears, our slow cooker. I cannot believe much alcohol will be left after that length of time, though hopefully a boost should have been given to the flavour of the meal. I’m looking forward to it.

No comments: