Tuesday 13 September 2011

Blown around

I see the second leg of the Tour of Britain cycle race, due to go through this area yesterday, was cancelled. I can't say I'm surprised. The amount of wind & rain we've had all weekend!

Yesterday we went along the prom to the Pub. As we drove along you could hear the persistent pecking of sand hitting the car windows as it blew off the beach inland. In parts you could see great drifts off sand crossing the road. I wouldn't like to have been walking, let alone cycling, in such weather.

Today is at least bright &, so far, dry. But it is also very, very windy. The wind is drying the ground rapidly. I actually managed to reach the apple tree to pick a few apples this morning before I started to sink into the sodden green area, known as our lawn.

Still, we've had some good news. The tickets for our holiday have arrived. I've booked the taxi. All we need now is a few euros & we're set. I can't see why we should need many as I suspect most of our spending will be on the boat & that we can pay on card at the end of the trip. But you never know, maybe the weather will improve & we will feel inclined to get off the boat to explore & need some cash for entrance fees, drinks, souvenirs etc.

The landlord of the Pub is on a cruise at the moment. He was due to cross the Bay of Biscay yesterday. I suspect there were a few seasick passengers on that ship. Hopefully it won't be so bad on a riverboat such as the one we are going on. But whatever the weather it should be a welcome relaxing break from routine. Hope so.

No comments: