Monday 3 May 2010

Feeding time

The Fox was in the midst of preparing the Kipper & Egg Kedgeree (and excellent it was too) when I happened to look outside. There was a blackbird pursued by four brown blackbirds. What's this, I thought. Now the women are chasing the man? Or are some thrushes rather than blackbirds?

I hastily found my glasses. Now the world was in sharper focus, it was clear. There were Mr & Mrs Blackbird with three youngsters, all wanting feeding. The high cheeps I was hearing were demands for food.

The parents seemed desperate to fulfil the pleas. They were even trying to get food out of the hanging feeders. I hurriedly got some more seed & put some on the table. They were soon back, once more feeding the young.

By the time we were sat eating our dinner the family had disappeared again. Soon though, on the very top of the evergreen just behind the garage Mr Blackbird was back. He was singing his heart out, most mellifluously, a mixture of pride & the need to proclaim his territory, I suspect.

No comments: