Wednesday 3 July 2019

Foul moods all round


Yesterday was a frustrating day.

I suppose it began when I got up. On Saturday I found a wasp nest in the garden. In the process I got stung on my hand. All the initial fire had gone by Sunday. The itch, & the red swelling, reappeared on Monday morning. It reappeared yesterday too, & today. I suspect as the day goes on I grow used to the sensation so ignore it. When I first wake up I’m only too aware of the sensation once more.

What really set me off on a bad track was when my carer failed to arrive. She was due, according to my arrangement with the company, at 10am. By 11am there was no sign of her. I rang the company HQ to be told she was coming & would ring her to find out what had happened. Sure enough she was on the bus on her way. She eventually arrived at 11.15am. She was in a foul mood having been told off by the admin side of the company for not telling them she would be late. It was impossible for her to make the trip to arrive here as she was with another client in Carnforth, a good 20 minute drive from here, until 10am. That was what they had organised on her schedule. They know she has to walk or use a bus to get here. They therefore knew she would be late without her having to ring them to let me know. On top of which they had scheduled my visit for 10.30am so they should have told me the change in time anyhow. Having a narky carer did not do much for my mood.

After she went my new wheelchair arrived. Before accepting it, I insisted on trying it. What a waste of time that was! The main reason for a new wheelchair was the fact I have lost quite a bit of weight over recent years so my present wheelchair was now too big for me. The new chair was the same size. On top of which it was a heavier chair with a thicker cushion making it difficult for my arms to reach the wheels to self-push. It was less manoeuvrable & impossible for me to tip to go over drop kerbs or door thresholds. I couldn’t help pointing it that recently I’d had to cover quite a long distance on uneven pavements, crossing entrances, to visit my husband in hospital. There was no way I could have done that with this new wheelchair. It simply isn’t fit for purpose, which is what they are obliged to satisfy. This chap did at least measure me for the chair & discovered I need one 2inches narrower. He also realised I clearly pushed myself around & needed one I could continue to do so, otherwise it will be reducing my mobility & independence, not liberating me as a wheelchair should do. He’s taken the new one back, with my comments on my requirements were & why this chair was inadequate. We’ll see what turns up next.

All this meant by the afternoon I was in a foul mood myself. It took a lot for me to settle down again.

No comments: