Sunday 10 April 2016

Garden update



The Fox has finally sorted out the computer – or at least he thinks he has. I think there’s a few tweaks to be made, things I should be able to do but can’t. I’m essentially computer illiterate. I’m fine with word processing & surfing the web, but that’s about it.

Today is my birthday. All the cards I’ve received seem full of flowers & butterflies. It goes to show how well people know me. I love my garden & its wildlife.

Talking about the garden, one of the things that intrigues me is our magnolia tree. I’ve finally taken off the winter fleece to reveal a tree full of buds. Last year it never flowered. I’m hopeful this year. My only nagging worry is that we’re off on our holiday in a few days’ time. I fear the buds won’t open before then, but the winds & the rain will have blown the flowers off by the time we get home. I hope not. I am so eager to see the tree in all its magnificence.

The other shrub/tree that has flowered for the first time this year is the camellia. It’s a white one. The flowers haven’t stayed on long due to wind & rain. However, it has encouraged me to think of buying a red one for next year. I prefer the vibrancy of the red colour to the white at present in the garden. If it was planted on the other side of the garden, the left side, it would be a welcome splash of colour, visible from our kitchen windows. Most of the early blossoming plants seem to be on the right, hidden by our garage if looked at from the kitchen window.

The garden is really bursting into life now. Leaves & buds keep appearing. I made our first mint sauce, with mint from our garden, yesterday, to accompany some roast lamb. The yellow daffs are dying down now but the white narcissi & daffs under the silver birches are only just coming into flower. Another week & they should be looking wonderful.

Spring is really springing with new life. Summer is on its way, despite the sharp frost this morning.

No comments: