Sunday 4 May 2014

Grim news day



Yesterday was a grim day as I caught up on family news.

The first person I rang was my cousin Ann. She apparently was rushed back into hospital after a few days at home. She was still there. Her abdominal area was grossly swollen. She had fluid on her lungs. They drained some of it off on Friday & were going to have another go on Saturday. She has apparently decided, when she’s released from the hospital, she’s going to go into a hospice. Her husband suspects it’s now a matter of weeks before she dies. The cancer has spread to her remaining kidney, lungs, liver & stomach.

After this cheery news I rang my cousin Alma, to wish her a happy 80th birthday. She, too, was rushed into hospital last week though she’s home for the moment. Her voice was so weak it was almost impossible to hear. Still she was much cheered by the presence of her sister, Trudy, with her family. They were awaiting a supply of oxygen to keep Alma going. Trudy has been fearing Alma wouldn’t even survive to her birthday, but again it sounds as though it’s a matter of weeks, if not days, before the end.

By the end of that phone call I thought I’d best ring our holiday company to change the person to contact in the event of some accident while we’re on holiday.  Ann was my contact person. Whether she’s still alive or not, Ann & her husband will have plenty to worry about over Ann without adding me.

Now I’m just hoping we don’t have funerals to rush off to before we go. Both cousins I think would prefer us to enjoy our holiday rather than cancelling for their sakes, especially if it’s for a funeral.

It was with some relief I spoke to my cousin Michael who is in fine fettle. He’s on no medications & fighting fit. At least one of us doing well.

In the evening my cousin Pat, Michael’s sister, rang. It seems the drug she’s been having for her breast cancer has revealed she has a leaky heart valve. She’s off to the hospital this week to see if she can continue treatment. She hopes so.

We now all wait. And pray.

No comments: