Tuesday 8 April 2014

Unsettled



It’s one of those odd mornings once again. The main unsettlement is due to the fact that I’m not quite sure when my home help will be coming, or even who will be coming. Linda is on holiday this week. I know she will be coming at the new Tuesday morning time when she comes.

No one has bothered to let me know whether this week it is going to be today – though now it’s too late for today, but that didn’t stop me feeling I couldn’t start anything for fear of interruption most of the morning – or later in the week. Will someone come tomorrow? Or will they come at the old Thursday hour? Or will just nobody arrive?

Last night the Fox got on with making a beef & ale pie filling. I’m in charge of the pastry today. It’s all rolled. The potatoes are peeled for some mash. Some green beans are out of the freezer. Since no one has come today, we’ll be doing the food shopping this afternoon. The pie should be quick & easy to do when we get home.

The phone went spot on 10am. I thought it must be the care agency, but no, it was PD, our friend from the Pub days. He’s now got cancer & has started chemotherapy. He’s just been told he’s been granted the new Personal Income Payment (PIP), the new benefit that replaces Disability Living Allowance (DLA) which I receive. As a result he was wondering what Motability is about. I duly told him he could exchange some of his PIP for a new car. He’s gone away uncertain. Having a new car is fine, but what happens if he is cured? Presumably the car will be taken away & he will have no transport & no car to trade in either. Equally if he isn’t cured & he dies, the car would have to be returned leaving his wife, the driver, without a car. They live in a fairly rural village so a car is essential. I left him to ponder that.

I settle down to my jigsaw – a giant turtle swimming over the Great Barrier Reef. The colours are really vibrant.

The doorbell rings. It’s our neighbour. Could we bring in their bin as they will be away tomorrow?

Even as I’m speaking to him the phone rings again. I rush, at my usual snail’s pace, to answer. Whoever it was had abandoned the attempt by the time I’d got there. If it’s important they’ll no doubt ring back later.

What next, I wonder.

No comments: