Tuesday 1 April 2014

Peace at last



The peace is wonderful! No chainsaws buzzing, just birds tweeting.

The workmen have gone, for the time being at least.

All yesterday we endured the sound of a chipper on the go in the garden. What a racket! Although the workers had ear muffs, we did not. Instead we retreated to rooms as far away as possible. I suspect it is with some relief that the Fox retreated to the hospital for his physiotherapy session, while I remained at home, as the boss man was due & he wanted to sort out one or two things with us. Thank goodness for the Prince of Wales pub in Cheltenham, which I frequented with my jigsaw.

After they had told us they wouldn’t be back immediately and then left, we couldn’t help commenting how exhausted we both felt. It’s all that waiting, that not being able to relax properly. Admittedly I did think these workmen were better than most. They did come with their own drinks & biscuits so we didn’t have to keep running out to them.

How we’re going to manage a whole month of this I’m not sure. I’m telling myself that when they come here full-time then we should be able to establish a pattern whereby we can go out most of the time, especially since it won’t be until the summer, when hopefully the sun should be shining to make outings more pleasant. Maybe it’s just as well that our holiday in Croatia will come before they’re due to get on the main job, rather than before the holiday as was originally planned. At least we should be well unwound before the chaos begins, though I suspect we will be ready for another holiday once they’re done.

No comments: