Tuesday 6 August 2013

Uneasy



It seems very strange today. There’s nothing I have to do this morning. The Fox has already made up a Shepherd’s Pie for this evening, so that’s the meal sorted. With the deluge of rain we had all yesterday, my washing hasn’t dried, so there’s no ironing to do.

I would do a bit of tidying in the garden but it’s too wet underfoot, even though it has stopped raining. I will have a go at filling up the feeders for our avian friends but that won’t take long. I also need to not do too much physically as today is Big Shop day when we go to do the main food shop, always traumatic. I sometimes wonder if it wouldn’t be easier to order on-line & have the food delivered, but I like to judge the quality of veg & meat before buying & that I don’t trust anyone else to do.

Tomorrow I’m off to the hairdresser. It’s time for a prune. I’ve been growing my hair out a bit of late but ultimately I’m coming to the conclusion that my silvery hair these days doesn’t have the healthy sheen of old to look good all one length, or even long. It’s time to go back to some sort of layered bob, the mushroom look as the Fox would say.

We’re half expecting my stepbrother & his wife to visit on Saturday. We’re both a bit anxious about this. We haven’t seen them for years & now suddenly they want to come to see us. And they want to come to our house, not to a pub or somewhere halfway between us. We can’t help wondering why. I know I rang to offer our condolences when my stepmother died recently but we hadn’t expected this reaction. We’ll find out at the weekend, though so far we have no idea when they expect to arrive, merely that we are to choose somewhere to go to for lunch. We’re thinking of trying the golf club. Everyone says the food is good there. Certainly whenever we’ve had a buffet at receptions there it has been excellent. At the moment though, we both feel a certain uneasiness about the whole event.

No comments: