Sunday 25 August 2013

A field of sunflowers



Earlier this week I took a guidebook to Provence out of the library. On the cover is a picture of a field of golden sunflowers. It set me thinking.

Sunflowers are so often used to epitomise Provence. You see them on pottery & tablecloths in the area.

Yet when I think of sunflowers I think of two places, both far from Provence. The first is a hill overlooking the confluence of the Vienne & the Loire, &, for that matter, Chinon. When we drove up to the top, we found fields of sunflowers drying in the sun ready to be harvested for their oil.

The other place I think of is Gouda in the Netherlands. I remember sitting in the market place one market day watching the world go by. Among other stalls there was a flower stall. So many people seemed to be buying sunflowers. I couldn’t help thinking they are such huge flowers to use to decorate the home but they were undoubtedly popular.

No, the flower I associate with Provence is lavender. One holiday we stayed in the foothills of Mont Ventoux, near Carpentras. One day we drove over to Sault. We passed field after field of lavender. All the postcards seem to be dominated by their blue-purple flowers, even though when we were there they were not yet in flower. Sault is the central collecting point for the lavender collected to subsequently be sent to Grasse to be turned into fine perfumes.

The other flower I associate with the region is the purple iris. They were in flower at the time of that holiday & seemed to be ubiquitous. That was the time I grew to appreciate Van Gogh’s painting of irises. (An aside: I wonder if the Van Gogh painting of sunflowers that make them so popular in the Netherlands? Or is it just some shared attraction to them?)

Maybe it is just a reflection of when we have visited Provence. It has always been in the spring whereas the Loire & the Netherlands we have visited in late August/early September when sunflowers would be more prominent.

For me Provence is about lavender & olives, but maybe I will come back from this holiday with a different image.

No comments: