Tuesday 4 September 2012

To the hospital

It's the hospital later this morning, for the scan. I'm in preparation already. Instructions came with the appointment. Nothing to eat for 5 hours before - not so difficult when some of that time is spent asleep in bed. Drink only water, or fat-free flavoured water such as milk-free coffee or tea. Unfortunately I like neither of the latter. I did contemplate having a squash, just to flavour the water. The bottle says it's fat free but is the sugar in it regarded as food? I'm playing safe with just water. Drink a pint and a half of water - so far I've had  three quarters of a pint. No going to the toilet in the last hour so you have a full bladder. I'm assuming that means the pint and a half of liquid has to be consumed after the last visit to the loo. I'm also hoping the seat belt doesn't press to tightly on my tum for the drive to the hospital. My one consolation is there should be an accessible loo to go to immediately afterwards.

On the whole I rebel against routine. I'm almost the opposite of someone  suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but one thing I am compulsive about is going to the loo before leaving the house. The idea of not going, especially when I will have a full bladder, goes totally against the grain. 

I suppose it dates from childhood. One thing my mother would always insist on when we were going out, along with putting outdoor shoes & coats on, was to go to the loo. The habit stuck.

The worst of it is, I'm not convinced this scan is going to achieve anything. The one thing it won't find is if there is a problem with the bowel. As time goes on, the more I'm convinced it is to do with the bowel system. I suppose, though, it's a case of the GP eliminating the most probable before going onto the less likely. We'll soon find out. 

I'm just grateful for once it is to the hospital in Morecambe we go so we don't have to face the traffic & parking problems of Lancaster. It will also a briefer journey with that seat belt pressing on my full bladder!

No comments: