Thursday 29 September 2016

Fresh food at last



We finally got to the supermarket yesterday. It’s wonderful to have fresh veg & fruit in at last. We’ve been existing on what was in the freezer since our return. It is with a certain degree of joy that, this morning, I got down to making a Bolognese sauce, full of mushrooms & tomatoes as well as the minced beef, to have with spaghetti & garlic bread this evening.

The fruit is the 5 beautifully red apples from our tree. We’re really thrilled by them. The baby tree was planted a couple of years ago. Last year it didn’t fruit, still settling in to its new environment I think. This year there are 5 apples. Next year? Who knows?

While we were in France, the apples seem to have doubled in size as well as getting ever redder. Yesterday I noticed one had dropped, landing in the divide between branches. I tried the others. They all came off easily in my hands so should be ripe. They’re eaters so I’m looking forward to trying them.

The activities since we have been home have overshadowed our holidays, but I promise I will get around to writing about them. At the moment all I’m going to say is we spent 10 days in Annecy in a hotel beside the lake of that name, followed by a week in Chamonix under the shadow of Mont Blanc, the highest peak in the Alps.

Annecy

Lake Annecy

Chamonix with Mont Blanc behind



No comments: