Saturday 23 May 2015

The walled garden



On Wednesday we went off to a garden centre & bought a few pots & plants for the walled garden. At present it looks pretty bare, though each addition helps.

We got some seating just before we went away but it didn’t alter the fact the area still seemed unwelcoming.

While we were away the mahonia has sprouted, breaking up most of one wall. The viburnum in front is now in flower giving some colour. But that is about it.

On Friday our latest purchases were delivered. Today I intended getting things planted up.

On one rather unsightly wall, a trellis was added last year but no planting. We’ve now bought a couple of troughs to put at the base. Inside I’m planting some honeysuckle, a passionflower (I’ve always fancied one of those. I like their religious symbolism) & a yellow fremontedendron, all climbers. Our bedroom opens onto this part of the garden & I have visions of the sweet night scents of the honeysuckle seeping in through the open windows.

We’ve also bought a couple of other pots into which I’m intending to transfer the ligularia I rescued from our old bog garden. They seem to have survived perfectly well as pot plants so far so I see no problem putting them permanently into pots. The pots I’m then going to site in the shady side of that part of the garden so they shouldn’t dry out too quickly. The chocolate leaves & golden flowers should brighten up that area.

Still more will be needed but at least it’s a start.

Unfortunately I’m not sure if I will manage to get it all done today. Why? Not because of the weather. The sun is shining pleasantly. No, I’ve got a bad case of the snuffles which I’m rapidly beginning to think is going to turn into a stonker of a cold. I’m telling myself the plants will be okay in their present pots for a few days before they transfer to their new homes.

Meanwhile if there’s a long silence, you’ll know what’s happened. I’ve sunk, with a dribbling nose, a sore throat & a stuffed up head!

No comments: